After spending some time discussing ways to make the most of your time in Sin City, I thought it might be nice to shift our attention toward the great Midwest, as I throw out some suggestions for vacation ideas in the third biggest city in the US, home of the only river in the world that flows the wrong way, the birthplace of the soap opera and home of the first blood bank in America (which I’m sure you were wondering. You’re welcome.). . .
Chicago. If you’re looking for a massive departure from bay-life, Chi-Town might be just what the doctor ordered, and I thought I’d take some time to lay out some of the ways you might best spend your time in the Windy City.
- Feed Your Brain – There’s tons of educational entertainment to be had in Chicagoland, including:
- The Shedd Aquarium, featuring more than 32 thousand animals from beluga whales to tiny jellyfish
- The Adler Planetarium, where you and the family can enjoy stunning shows that bring you closer to the beautiful and mysterious sights of our universe
- The Field Museum, currently featuring the largest T-Rex skeleton ever found (!) and home to ancient Egyptian artifacts, the hall of birds, the “Pawnee Earth Lodge” and much more (not to mention 3D IMAX shows).
- And Much More! Explore Choosechicago.com to see what all there is on offer and you can search calendars of upcoming events for a wide range of vacation activities—one of which is bound to pique your interest!
- Feed Your Tummy – I don’t know about you, but when I’m on vacation, that means I have a bit of extra time for one of my favorite hobbies: eating! Make sure you sample some of the tasty delicacies on offering next time you find yourself in the “City of the Big Shoulders.”
There’s something for everybody, whether you’re a serious foodie looking to snag some exquisite cuisine from top-tier steakhouses like “Bavette’s Bar and Boeuf” or you just have to try some of Garrett’s gourmet popcorn. Not to mention the plethora of food festivals (including the largest free outdoor food festival in the world: “The Taste of Chicago”).
- Support the Arts – Chicago features a wide range of thrilling performances—from contemporary theater to modern sculpture, there’s plenty to keep art-lovers occupied during the duration of your stay in Chicago.
Head over to the Art Institute of Chicago to check out all of your favorite post-impressionists (along with crowd pleaser: Grant Wood’s American Gothic) before swinging by The PrivateBank Theatre to catch a performance of Hamilton (shows start this September!). No matter what your artistic leanings may be, there’s definitely something for you, so make sure you check out the calendar of upcoming events at broadwayinchicago.com to see what’s coming next!
- Tear it Up – If you’re looking for a good place to blow of steam, Chicago’s your spot. Personally, I like to go pretty hard on vacation. Not the whole time, mind you. Just a taste, is all. Which is why I like to invest in the “deluxe package” every so often. . .
So bring the whole crew, rent a gorgeous stretch limo from chitownlimos.net, and hit the town. Chicago’s got tons of great eateries and drinkeries to choose from, and there’s no reason the party shouldn’t last all night when you’re letting your hair down and having a blast with friends and loved ones.
I know I’ve only really had time to scratch the surface here, but hopefully this at least helps spark a couple ideas, so if you find yourself itching for a getaway from the bay, you might consider making your way east and sampling some of that Chicago life during a week away from the hustle and bustle of the daily grind.
Stay tuned for more vacation brainstorming, and let me know if you’ve vacationed anywhere recently that you’d recommend to anyone else looking to “step out” for a minute.